Saturday 1 March 2014

Building Peace Project- for a better tomorrow !

It was one evening when I stumbled upon Kirthi’s (Director, Red Elephant Foundation) status on Facebook saying last call for “Building Peace Project”. The name of the Project caught my attention and made me check it the very same moment. I was glad that my half a second of wait was totally worth as what I read kept me awestruck. It was not merely peace factor which captivated me but it was peace between India and Pakistan is what intrigued me. One of the rarest opportunities you can get is being a part or I should say being provided with a platform to discuss and ideate on International relations between the two much talked and 'enemy made' countries. Red Elephant Foundation brings 10 people across each border together, divided in pairs of two for a year with the agenda to reach at an amicable solution for the prevailing conflicts. It was a pleasant surprise for me to get a mail from the organization saying ‘You have been selected for the BPP’, completely contrary to what I thought when I applied. The very thought of working with an aim to come up with a peace resolution along with a Pakistani counterpart is what motivates me. Fatiq Nadeem, 19 year old, an investigative journalism aspirant is my partner for the project from Lahore. As far as I know,we are the youngest of all the pairs rolled in for the project,this gives both of us a much needed exposure into the cultural and social aspect of India & Pakistan at such an early age.  There exists curiosity wrapped with a tinge of tension not because of the existing radical views against each other’s country but because of the ways in which things will unfold. The purpose of this project is not to enter into a peace agreement only, but to acknowledge and dig out the unheard stories from the lands which were once together but now are separated by huge metallic gates. The past undoubtedly had been treacherous but what has stopped us from waving a white flag to our neighbours now? This beautiful project conceived by Kirthi and her team has given Fatiq and Me an opportunity to represent our nation and to plunge into debate/exchange of ideas/ challenging norms of both the sides, which I am extremely energized to take on.  Looking forward to expanding my friend zone beyond India, disintegrate the planted beliefs and to envisage a peaceful future belonging to both the nations.

Let peace prevail!

8 comments:

  1. Keep up the great work, Aakash and Fatiq! You guys are making peace happen, every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best, both of you. Make us proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best buddy ... Yes, let peace prevail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to reading your posts. This project makes me have hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. The next piece on blog is up, hope you like it :)

      Delete
  5. Dear Aakash
    I enjoyed reading your blog post. May your friendship with Fatiq grow deeper with each interaction, and may you be able to meet each other very soon!
    Love
    Chintan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Chintan :)
      Inshallah , we all will meet soon!

      Delete